Friday, March 12, 2010

Silver Bullet

I will skip the story of how our neighborhood postal worker did not bother to ring my bell yesterday. I won't mention that I was home the entire time. I'll leave out the details about having to wait nearly an hour at our dysfunctional post office just to pick up the package he should have handed to me in all of five seconds. Instead of telling the world what a zoo this government institution is and what a strong resemblance its excuses for employees have to molasses, I will take the high road and bite my tongue.

The diamond in all this rough is more of a silver bullet. I am pleased to announce that as of four o'clock this afternoon, the Celemony Melodyne Editor software has dug its digital footprint into my iMac's hard disk. A longer review is in order and will be posted soon. At a glance, Melodyne is a powerful, intuitive engine that transforms impotent, scrawny vocals into solid sound perched squarely on tonal centers. Unlike other plug-ins like Autotune, Melodyne maintains a much more natural sound. I have the giggles over this.

In the quick scratch recording below, you will here two instances of the same recording. There are no effects applied other than the Melodyne Editor, and it is only utilized in the second half. The latter portion was adjusted in a matter of minutes with a handful of mouse clicks.

I spent most of the evening tweaking a melody for the actual Redline Project recording, and for once I actually like how my (altered) voice sounds. Though I am tempted to post that song here, it is going to stay in the vault until the final project is released.

1 comment:

  1. This does bring back your very clever technique of tattling-without-tattling on your sister. Nice to see you've refined the art even further.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete