Thursday, February 4, 2010

Royal Flush


Here's a quick post to accompany an equally brief audio experiment. A further exploration in the concept of found sound, today's scratch recording features a variety of morning tones not commonly associated with music.

The recording commences with a brief sustained tone for each sample, and then the madness ensues.

In addition to digging further into the found sound concept, the recording available below represents my first sampling effort in Logic Express.

The basic plot of sampling:

1) Collect a variety of sound samples. In this case, all samples are new recordings, but sampling can utilize pre-recorded material as well.

2) Assign the samples to keys on a midi instrument. I routed these eight sound bytes to eight notes on my M-Audio Keyrig 49.

3) Play just as you would any keyboard instrument like a midi piano or drum set.

So simple, yet so brilliant. Logic Express, you continue to astound me with your seemingly endless capabilities.

Without further preface, I am serving up an aural slice of my latrine and kitchen: a shaver, a nose-hair trimmer, a faucet, a toaster timer and bell, and yes, the porcelain throne all resonate in symphony for your listening pleasure.

I trust that you will find the result fascinating and perhaps a touch grotesque. Bon Appetit!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. . . it created some feelings of irritation in me. . . maybe great for a song that moves from irritation and chaos to . . . soothing peace?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, it does the same for me. I don't know that I would ever listen to this for the sake of listening. It was fun to put together as an intro to sampling, but future efforts will most hopefully be more palatable. Thanks for listening and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a sound/music genius! This is hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would like to see the music video for this track!

    ReplyDelete