Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Editing Experiment

This is the first time I have posted twice in the course of a day. I could not bear the thought of adding a scratch recording or any serious commentary to my twisted, tongue-in-cheek attempt at songwriting humor (posted below if you have the stomach for it).

When you listen to the scratch recording attached to this post, you will probably be skeptical to learn that there were six hours between the first note recorded and the final bounce. Your surprise is fitting because the audio is nothing more than a brief guitar ditty that lasts a mere 98 seconds.

The reason for my excitement is because this recording is heavily edited with tools in Logic Express that 24 hours ago I did not know existed. Specifically, this minute or so of music is chock full of cross fades, punches, and pitch adjustments.

Numerous problems remain, and the overall sound is a far cry from professional, but this track represents the slow, steady progress that is needed if the Redline Project is going to be realized in a year's time.

Without prolonging the wait, here is scratch recording number 6.

1 comment:

  1. Josh - I love what you are doing...definitely hearing new things on each scratch recording. I'd love to get up to Atlanta and stop and see you and Margaret. We're down here in the Savannah area (Bluffton, SC)

    =) James

    ReplyDelete