Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Out of the Woodwork

At present, the Redline Project in its entirety consists of a few patchy blog posts, a Facebook group, and a Twitter account. You can imagine my surprise and great delight to find out that several people from around the country, and yes even a couple from across the pond, have chosen to connect to this idea. It seems the social networking services are living up to their claims.

I am somewhat bewildered and deeply encouraged by comments submitted from people remembering me from the high school and college days. I assumed I was long forgotten; what a treat it is to receive kind remembrances of my then-budding musicianship from many with whom I have performed, studied, and composed.

One of the greatest hopes I have for this humble, strange project is that it will strike a chord (as it were) with other artists - musical and otherwise. If you are someone with an artistic talent that never made it into the stratosphere of fame, please drop me a line and tell the story. Just as I am hoping to wiggle out of the woodwork, it will be a pleasure to bring our common sentiments into the light.

On that note (again, as it were - apparently it is pun day), I am thankful for the two contacts I received with offers to borrow recording gear. $1000 is not much of a budget, but it is still a lot of money, and borrowed-for-free is a concept much more in line with the spirit of the Redline Project. If anyone has an audio interface (firewire/usb), decent microphones, XLR or quarter-inch cables, a midi-controller keyboard, or anything else even remotely useful that is in a corner getting dusty, please send me a note. I will give credit where credit is due.

1 comment:

  1. Josh, a long lost friend for sure, but certainly not forgotten! (It's Amy, I'm posting under my husband's account)

    I find myself reading through your blog entries and I feel like I'm sorting through my own thoughts! First of all, I think your idea is fabulous and I look forward to following your progress.

    Second of all, I too am at the brink of a musical rebirth. I'm not sure if you remember, but I sang in the choruses all through middle and high school, from there I was in a few ensembles and a cappella groups in college and loved every minute of it. After I graduated though, focus turned to career and family and music took a backseat.

    Now here I am, six years later, and a few months back I got a chance invite to sing in an upstart band; it was definitely one of those "in the right place at the right time" situations that HAD to be divine intervention, like a nudge from the universe to jump back in and rediscover that part of myself that I've been missing for so long.

    I tried not to get too excited about it, but we've had two practices before, and believe it or not, we sound good! The goal is to enter a music festival in the summer here in Denver, maybe do a few gigs before then, we'll see. But even if it never gets that far and we just keep setting up and playing in each other's garages, it's such a liberating feeling to be at the mike again, pouring it all out, and finally expressing myself in music again.

    So good for you with this project! Maybe we could even collaborate on a track for your album, if you write it I'll sing it!

    Best wishes, hope you're well and stay in touch - I'll be here reading along.

    Take care,
    Amy (Gardner) Quinones

    ReplyDelete