Friday, January 22, 2010

Roots - Part One

I am still buzzed with the excitement of yesterday's accomplishments. Thanks to all who gave a listen to the latest scratch recording. Today was filled with meetings that pushed actual productivity to the far reaches of the afternoon. There is not much time left for typing, so I am taking the opportunity to offer a list of the musicians who have influenced me one way or another. A family tree of sorts. It is in no way exhaustive and I plan on adding to it in future posts.

Anna Lisa Madeira
The organist at the church where I grew up and a kickin' musician for an 85 year old Swede with a glass eye and a case of the gout.

Miles Davis
Unbelievably prolific with over 100 studio and live albums. He knew how to assemble a band and had an enormous ego. Gotta love him.

Bela Fleck
This guy singlehandedly turned me on to the possibilities of the banjo.

Victor Wooten
What's impossible with most superstar bassists is possible, even probable, with Wooten.

Dave Matthews
Matthews and his Virginia Beach band played the soundtrack to much of my high school experience. Their music means ultimate frisbee, basement parties, and senior prom to me.

Tony Williams
Joining a Miles Davis band in his teens, the drumming legend knew how to attack a ride cymbal. Legendary.

Bon Iver
Out In The Woods. Enough said.

John Mayer
Really knows how to string lyrics together and plays a pretty mean guitar. (His guitar is not mean-spirited, he just plays it well.)

Jim LaFitte
An unknown jazz trombonist from Providence, Rhode Island, and my high school music teacher. He taught me how to listen to recordings.

Lonnie Gasperini
My first exposure to REAL Hammond B3 playing, and a fine one at that.

Kinah Boto
An Atlanta-based drummer with more soul and feel than anyone I have ever heard, on any instrument.

Bill Evans
Evans piano recordings demand my attention and sometimes make me cry. Beautiful.

Gary Motley
A living legend among bebop musicians. He invited me to play with him at a club one time. I was way out of my league.

Carmen McRae
My favorite jazz singer, McRae knows how to belt it out. I wouldn't want to get in a disagreement with her about anything. Ever.

Margaret Taylor
Watching her play the cello is art in motion. She taught me what it means to connect with a melody. She is also beautiful inside and out. I should point out that she now goes by a different last name ever since she married me nearly eight years ago.

This is barely scratching the surface. I promise to continue soon. Right now, I am off now to enjoy some pre-birthday fajitas.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your passion, Josh...and this list! Very eclectic!

    ReplyDelete