Saturday, February 20, 2010

Beyond Pretty Flowers

When the Redline Project blog launched two months ago, I had little idea that the goal of creating an album of music in the course of a year would lead me down an intense introspective path. I should have known, because music worthy of our ears is often an outpouring of its creator's soul as much as it is a technical or aesthetic feat.

Scouring the depths for pivotal information about who I am, what I believe, and my life values produced clear findings, and I am excited to share the conclusion tonight.

(This is the final time I will mention that a recap of this process is available in a post entitled 'Conceptualizing.'

Question number seven:
In a world full of endless noise and chatter, what do I have to say that may add something of worth to the dialogue?

This final question essentially begs a synthesis of all other explanations. I am pleased to offer one, but wish first to explain the why this is important.

Pretty flowers have been painted for centuries, and they will continue to fill canvases ad infinitum. This is a good thing; flowers are a marvel of nature that deserve our time and attention. Paul Cezanne, one of my favorite artists, possessed a love the subject, and produced an abundance of floral still-lifes during his fruitful career.

A fine professor of music at Georgia State University once declared, "It is no longer enough to produce pretty music. The artworks that become relevant and rise to peoples' notice are ones that enter into a dialogue, offering something to say of importance."

I think he is correct. The music of the Redline Project should be much more than the aural version of handsome blooms. The end product should have something to say.

There is plenty of meaningless drivel that wiggles its way into the affections of the masses (I will not offer specific examples as one person's trash is most likely another's treasure, and I do not intend to spark a heated debate), but if this project is going to be worth my time to produce, and deserve space on your iPods and other such devices, its contents must tell an important story, hold weight, speak messages of significance.

That is the crux of tonight's question, and indeed the essence of this two weak self-search. What do I have to communicate that is worth a listen?

Clear themes have emerged as I typed paragraph upon paragraph. For one, I believe in the importance of justice and feel that time aiding and uplifting the oppressed is time well spent. If everyone cared for their neighbor as they care for themselves, the world would be a blessed place. This is perhaps the most prevalent theme of these weeks' writings.

Secondly, I think that wealth, fame, status, security, and power all pale in comparison to love and the importance of relationships. I would rather have a life filled with friendship than any of the aforementioned acquisitions.

Thirdly, I believe that life presents everyone with extraordinarily complex questions. Some queries include 'Why does evil exist?', 'Why am I so rich when so many in the world starve, often to death?', 'How did we get here?', 'Does my life have any meaning or purpose?', and on the list goes... Though answers are not always easy (or even possible) to come by, these questions are worthy of exploration. I also believe that the arts offer a perfect venue for coping with the confounding aspects of life.

Finally, I am defined by my faith. True faith is much more than a system of belief; it is a call to action. Faith asks for much more than isolated events of charity, inspiring the whole of life be given in love and service to others. Not about personal gain, my should be filled with deep care for those around me - especially the poor and disenfranchised. Though my wife and I are on the front end of unearthing the implications of this, we are committed to finding answers that will hopefully lead to significant life change.

The same professor mentioned above also stated, "All writing is autobiographical." Wise man. I think that anything creative, be it visual art, drama, poetry, pottery, film, prose, dance, or music, is marked by the thumbprint of its creator. The Redline Project recording may technically fall out the exhaust pipe of my audio gear, but above all the music will portray my struggles and victories, emotions and experiences.

I have made an important decision. The music of the Redline Project will be a collection of songs that tell stories of injustice, offer snapshots of hope, paint pictures of pain, and portray a desire for peace. Some tracks will have vocals, while others will be instrumental. Nothing about the album will be a direct moral statement or call to action. It will instead tell thought-provoking tales that will most likely speak different messages to each listener. The music presented on the recording will be a volume of questions without clear answers that ask the listener to open eyes and arms wide to a world that aches deeply for love.

Another significant finding: While the Redline Project is still largely a solitary effort, I am inclined to include guest musicians, recordists, or other technicians as appropriate. If I value relationships as much as I say, it is appropriate for able and willing friends to help me accomplish the goals of my project. I am unsure the degree to which others will assist me, but contrary to my views at the start of the project, I am now open to this approach.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has stuck with this blog as I made my way through these lengthy discourse of self-awareness. I am the richer for it, and I hope the bearing of my soul has inspired you in to do the same in your own unique way. Tomorrow I excitedly return to the music armed with clear purpose and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment