Thursday, February 25, 2010

Direct Box

Slim report today. The Redline Project needed to be momentarily shelved as I attended to pressing situations facing a few friends. In my travels, I swung by Ye Olde Guitar Centre to acquire a passive direct box. You may remember from a few posts ago that a direct box has a good shot at eliminating unwanted hum and noise from a guitar signal, a fix that my piecemeal recording rig desperately needs.

I plugged the little black box, 1/4" in and XLR out, up to the system. Strapped to a borrowed Guild hollow body electric, I played a few notes into Logic Express, then a few more followed by several others, until a half hour slipped through my fingers. This unassuming invention melted away nearly every trace of annoying sound. This newly found clean tone is good motivational juice for what promises to be a productive weekend of songwriting and recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment