Monday, February 15, 2010

And In This Corner...

Unexpected enemies have emerged as the plot of the Redline Project thickens. The warriors are brothers, but each passing day has brought bickering between the two that is starting to rage into all-out battle.

Contender Number One: The Blog
What started as a diary meant to serve as a timeline of sorts is turning into an inspiring venue for connecting with old friends and meeting new artists on similar quests. Each day I look forward to the clickety-clack of my thin Macintosh keyboard, communicating thoughts from my brain to a digital abyss techno-geeks blandly dub a 'server.' Even if a post goes without readership, there is something therapeutic, even cathartic, about putting raw thought out there.

My inbox has a presence of letters with a subject line that reads [Redline Project]... This signals me that someone has attached a comment to one of the posts. With a simple ding of the email alert, my day is made. Around 3:00 this afternoon, an exciting one came - perhaps the most promising to wind its way through the wires. A communications assistant from my undergraduate alma mater found my humble online corner and contacted me to see if Gordon College could publish the story on their blog. Precisely the type of connection I am hoping to make, this unexpected message had me running animated circles around the house.

Contender Number Two: The Music
As little as a month ago, I could not pen as much as a limerick. This week, three new ideas for songs fill pages of my sketch book, and I must say they have some promise. Right as I commit myself to a lengthy autobiographical search on the blog, my mind for music becomes verdant and mossy, and I find myself giddy with excitement for even a moment to scratch some sounds into a Logic Express project.

When 5:00 rolled around, Two tugs, one to write and the other to record, yanked with nearly equal force. Right now, I should be typing paragraphs that answer the question, What do I think has worth or lasting value? as continue to search for artistic direction. (Please see the post entitled Conceptualizing if you are feeling suddenly lost.) I betrayed this commitment to work on recording a new song about the physical and emotional abuse a good friend endured in her youth. Writing these lyrics has finally given an appropriate venue to haunting emotions that came with learning of this tragedy 12 years ago. Needless to say, diving headfirst into this music ultimately won the evening.

As referee of this developing bloodbath, I am bound and determined to make a way for both to exist peacefully. For tonight however, the music wears the crown of victory. Its prize? A newly-completed song sketch dwells in the read-only memory of my computer, while the defeated blog hangs its head in shame as it displays a scant showing of only six new paragraphs.

More tomorrow, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment