Sunday, January 3, 2010

First Challenge: Project Budget

I am pleased to announce that the premise of the Redline Project has been approved by the advisory board (my wife)... Well, mostly.

The first issue this project will face is a slight discrepancy in the budget allotment. Instead of having $1000 to begin, I have $0. Not an insurmountable problem, but definitely one that will require some creativity and resourcefulness.

My goal is to spend no more than $1000 on this entire project, but despite my hoping otherwise, it looks like I am going to have to find the money before I can spend it. Initial ideas: There's a fairly nice bicycle in the shed and few pieces of musical gear around the house that are no longer of use to me. I will spend some time this afternoon valuing these items and posting them for sale.

On a much more confounding note, I have commenced the tedious job of scouring through endless web pages looking for advice on piecing together an adequate recording rig. Thanks to my line of work, I already own a powerful Mac G5 that is a bit old, but still has plenty of kick. That leaves the need for recording software, audio interface, microphone(s), cables, and some sort of midi controller keyboard.

There is much to discuss about an acoustic instrumentalist (steeped in the jazz tradition) embracing the world of computer music and midi interfacing. But this is a philosophical topic that I will reserve for a day further down the road. For now, this little piggy is off to the e-market to pawn off some unwanted gear in exchange for a project budget.

2 comments:

  1. I have a fostex 16 track hard disc recorder with integrated 4 bus mixer if you want to use it. It's a bit dated, but it captures and produces high-quality audio. Your Mac will be better, if you can find (afford) the software and mixer for it.

    Let me know. It's just collecting dust in my basement.

    -Chris (Dillon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as the fu manager ill volunteer any of their music equiptment... please contact jacob fu to find out what that actually is...

    ReplyDelete