Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Petite Rant

Though I have sifted through countless online forums and tried a dozen remedies, my Alesis Multimix 12 (a firewire mixer) continues to make a horrid low-pitched hum whenever I attempt to record my Guild acoustic electric guitar through it. I have checked for ground loops and acquired noise-cancelling direct boxes. I have attempted to ground the unit by running wires from its chassis to the base of my computer, around my pinky finger, and even down my pants (long story). All solutions reduce some unwanted sound, but I am yet to hit upon the silver bullet.

I finally rang Alesis tech support this morning, figuring they have heard the gripe before. After running me through ten ideas I tried weeks ago, I hung the phone on its cradle and found myself wishing there was hair atop my bald head so I could pull it out in frustration.

How can company after company, with precious few exceptions, possess such thorough ineptitude in troubleshooting their own products? I would put serious cash on the line that my call was not the first of its topic to ring at the help desk. Just once, I would like to dial an 888 number to find a friendly, knowledgeable person on the other end who solves my issue in ten minutes or less. Sounds like a frosty day in the underworld.

There. Rant over.

Considering that I use precisely one of the strips in this 12 input mixer, I have started to research much simpler interfaces that would enable great sound and ease of use in one portable box. Across the board, the Apogee One and the Apogee Duet seem to take the cake. Their prices are on the steep side, so I am hoping to trade the Multimix to someone who has an Apogee product. Until then I will plug along with the Alesis box and clean noise fragments with Logic's host of powerful plug-ins.

1 comment:

  1. Two other options you might consider:
    Line6 POD, use the "Tube Preamp" model, and see if that does anything. (It is way cleaner than the preamps on my Multimix 8) That might get you through it.
    Mic the guitar... Whatever it takes to get the job done. Even major studios usually have a Shure SM-57 ($100). Yeah, I know, not as convenient as using the built in pickup, but hey... if it gets the job done. (I'm also thinking, maybe there's a fault in the guitar's pickup. In which case... an Apogee will set you back several hundred, that's all.)

    Other thoughts... what's the frequency of the hum? You might try engaging the High-Pass filter. If it's a 60Hz hum, that will take it out.

    And last, don't know if you've looked around there, but Tweak-Headz has some very helpful stuff, I find.
    http://www.tweakheadz.com

    ReplyDelete