Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Normal Procedure

I deemed a certain song recording complete about two weeks ago. Since then, I have opened up the file at least a dozen times, tweaking or finessing a small detail with every pass. I will certainly peruse the file twelve or more times between now and the album release, and I am sure I will find something else to adjust on each occasion.

Is this normal procedure?

Often I open up a nearly complete track and let it play on repeat for the better part of a morning. I listen carefully, I listen as a consumer, and I block out the sound altogether, in that order. Sometimes I notice a subtle issue or mistake in the mix, sometimes I observe nothing.

Is this neurotic?

Whenever I make good progress on a recording, I fly around the house in a bouncy iteration of unadulterated bliss. Without fail, no more than 12 hours pass before I hit a sharp feeling of depression, and I become certain that this project will never cross the finish line.

Am I insane?

My wife's mother will be staying with us for the next three days, which means two things: a lovely visit and virtually no progress made on the Redline Project. I will try to keep the posts going, so feel free to check in.

1 comment:

  1. no, it is not neurotic, it is normal for somebody who has a sensitive ear. you have to be content with what you produce, and if you are not satisfied then you wanna work on it. it helped me though to let a piece rest and work on it again after i have gained some "distance" to it.

    ReplyDelete