Saturday, April 24, 2010

That Bad

The first severe weather of the summer swirled through Atlanta today, drenching the local bike trails and all the other outdoor distractions that would have otherwise loved to lure me away from the Redline Project. If it weren't for this mountain of a hobby, the rain would have me pursing my lips and humphing along through the day.

Instead, I jumped at the opportunity to get some serious work accomplished on the recordings. Drums poorly miked and sticks in hand, I dove in at 10:00 this morning. It is now 7:30 pm, which means I pushed through a plumper period of music today than I usually squeeze out of any given workday. It goes without saying that I am clearly motivated by the former.

With this many hours logged in the recording studio, I am going to keep my remarks brief, limiting them to the following disdain.

Once again I am shocked by the honesty of recording. On many occasions during these nine hours, I performed what seemed like a good take. Alas, the playback had another tale to tell.

Am I really that bad of a musician? My mother always had complimentary things to say about my abilities, but somehow the tape offers a different opinion. I am suddenly struck with deep respect for the pros who churn out excellence in one take. Bravo to all of you. I am starting to understand why I never made it as a gigging musician.

2 comments:

  1. ah josh, don't be too hard on yourself. we are not professional musicians. and you are good enough, most people don't hear the shortcomings we hear. please don't get discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, because the listener doesn't know what you meant to play, they usually don't know if it's wrong. Also... if you hadn't just pulled the drums out a couple days ago, but had been playing for months, you'd probably be doing much better. As is, I haven't heard you, I can't judge how good or bad you are.

    ReplyDelete