Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Touch of Synergy

As a graphic artist, I knew I was starting to get my professional legs under me when I intuitively sensed how to combine design programs and the effects, filters, and commands therein to create the image haunting my mind's eye. This is an ongoing process that continually morphs as each yearly software update is released. While I have not arrived, and though I never will, I remember the day when I started to connect the dots and use a synergy of commands to create something greater than the sum of its components. What a good feeling.

I have been reworking a recording for the past four hours or so; redoing so much in fact that the only remnant of the original is the vocals. Those get rerecorded tomorrow.

Though I still barely understand Logic and its endless array of capabilities, I am beginning to whizz around the different windows, tweaking a mixer setting, adding a plug-in, modifying a piano roll, tuning a track EQ. With each day that passes, Logic feels a little friendlier, like a new set of bicycle cleats after half a dozen rides. I still fumble, I still furrow my brow, I still go running for YouTube to figure out the conundrum of the moment. But as I plod along, it is delightful to know I have left a collection of footprints on the path behind.

Good progress on final track number eight tonight, though its nowhere near finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment