Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Listening Day Two

Fall Down has tickled my eardrums over and again tonight as I continue my quest to wrench the kinks out of the Redline Project final tracks. Tonight marks the second day of a nine day process, with each one dedicated to one of the tracks of the final project.

Tonight's song is about a friend who chose to cheat on her spouse. Somehow the heaviness of life wore weak spots into the fibers or this person's morality until the strands frayed and shredded. Though the infidelity happened a handful of years ago, the events and circumstances still haunt me.

These lyrics discuss truth and the process of learning, relearning, and ultimately accepting and rejecting different ideas. Like most of my songs are, the topic is a heavy one that begs us to take a closer look at our patterns of thought.

A taste:
Minutes confirm what months deny
As years coax a different truth from passers by
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
We all fall down


Song Report Number Two: Fall Down
Again, many of the adjustments I made were to the vocal track, fine tuning EQ settings, condensing, and de-essing. I chose a small, soft room as the reverb setting for many tracks, which gives the track more of a live-recorded feel. I warped a harmony track almost beyond recognition with piles of echo and phase to give a swirling effect. Slight edits to analog percussion tracks also tightened the groove. The cherry on top was a condenser/limiter and a msster EQ that seemed to liven up the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment