Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stardom and Anonymity

I join the masses in loving the music of Norah Jones. I watched an interview she gave today on Billboard.com, and was far from impressed. For being such a brilliant songwriter, singer, and instrumentalist, she was a far cry from articulate. And I found her comments leaned toward the conceited side. What a let-down.

Famous musicians, the ones who become household names, seem to lead lives that are often disturbed and filled with angst. Strange how money and fame mangle the lives of those who have both, yet somehow hold strong appeal to those who have neither.

As the Redline Project album begins to take shape, I am convinced of two things:

1) The music I am producing is fairly good - compelling, varied, and gives the listener a good bit to think about.

2) The music I am producing is not nearly good enough to be an attention-getter or career-builder.

Somewhere inside of me lurks the evil desire to strike a chord with a world full of music listeners and piece together a career as a touring, recording, performing musician. The sensible part of me - a small but growing percentage of my being - inches closer each day to rejecting those thoughts. What a mess stardom would be; anonymity is far superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment